Ok, so the Megan Nielsen Banksia pattern isn’t a new pattern but it’s kind of new to me. Well who cares? I eventually got round to making it despite it being in my pattern pile for a while.
I have to say, the instructions for this pattern were really easy to follow and there are two methods for the placket construction which are really thorough. I hate putting in plackets and buttons in general but I’m actually really impressed with the results of my placket.
Unusually for me, I didn’t alter the length of the top nor adjust the bust and yet the length isn’t too short for me and nor are the bust darts in too weird a position. I wouldn’t normally wing it but on this occasion it seems to have worked out!
The fabric is a pretty little bumblebee print on a fairly thick-ish cotton, it’s probably quilting cotton but it feels softer. With the weather turning, that’s not such a bad thing to be honest as i’m looking for warmer tops.
Initially I tried to make the plackets from the same cotton but it was far too thick for the placket. As I’d bought the end of the roll, I didn’t have enough for the collar and used a coordinating cream silk from my stash, which is what I used for the placket too. I’m glad I did because I think it looks really smart. Despite my initial hesitations about the peter pan collar (because generally I don’t really suit cutesy type clothes), I’m actually really liking it!
I can definitely see a few more being made in the future…