After my lingerie course, I must admit my sewing mojo took quite a hit. There’s a dress hanging up in my study that just needs hemming, yet I cannot motivate myself to do it… This quilt has been pretty much made since May except all it needed was the binding to be added…
I used a pattern from a Sew Hip issue from last year – but it’s a simple pattern that you could make up yourself – you need five different sized circles and you could trace round pots and pans to get the circles.
It’s really easy but you do need to do a quite a bit of hand sewing to applique all the circles onto the quilt top… I really like the simplicity of this quilt though, it’s modern and fun for a child. I didn’t want a style that would be too fussy or old-fashioned for the boys. The hardest part of all was finding quilting cottons for boys that weren’t too twee and that were fresh and fun.
I think this is an Alexander Henry print – from Fabrics Galore
I started hand quilting the top but realised this would take a long time. (So, quilting traditionalists look away now!) I quilted by machine – my machine has a quilting stitch that if you use invisible thread (monofilament thread) it looks just like a hand stitched running stitch – genius. It’s quilted with different sized circles on top of the circles that are appliqued on with matching threads.
In its unfinished state, I wasn’t particularly motivated to finish it, it looked like a mess. Another Freya disaster! But then I added the trim and somehow it’s been magically transformed into something that I’m quite proud of.
I love this cheeky little backing print! I think it’s a Japanese cotton from somewhere online
And a little handmade label to finish it off!