Confession time – I haven’t owned a single white bra in about 7 or 8 years. I recently confessed this to one of my friends who was shocked that I had gotten away with it for so long. It’s not that it hasn’t been on my mind for a while but then I started sewing and thought I’d wait until I could make one for myself or I’d find pretty bras in any other colour than white that I just had to have! Besides nude bras are much more versatile than white bras especially when wearing them under a white T-shirt – even though they are clearly uglier…
So I decided it was high time to make a white bra and tried out Elan number 645 (as well as the Kwiksew K2101). I used the leftover fabric/tricot from the bra kit that I used in the first Kwiksew Bra.
First things first, the picture on the pattern looks like it has been drawn in the 1970s but other than that the instructions were pretty clear (for commercial bra instructions!). The major headache for me was at the beginning where I sat scratching my head as to the differences between version A and version B. It took me a long time to realise one was made for stretch and the other was for non stretch. And then one version was wired and the other wasn’t. Silly me thought one version was the lace version and the other was non lace. I did version B in the end but added underwire as version B is the non wired version of the bra. Confused? I was…
Well, what can I say about white bras – except that it makes today’s model look like she has just returned from a two week summer holiday abroad and got considerably sunburnt…. Poor her, she really needs to invest in some suntan cream.
The fit on the cups are pretty good, even though there is a little bagginess on the right hand cup. This is due to uneven breasts which most, if not all women will have a degree of. Random fact of the day, your larger breast will be on your dominant side
The construction was pretty straightforward although half way through I freaked out a little as I thought it looked massive!! It’s been a while since I made a proper full frame bra you see… (This one was finished before the leopard print Danglez number).
(Looks huge doesn’t it??)
The construction was pretty straightforward though and the instructions were surprisingly pretty clear, however the back wing pattern pieces do not exactly match up with the required sized hook & eye. I measured this countless times, so I think this must be a pattern error/error in the instructions as I had ordered the right sized hook & eye. You can tell that the hook and eye is too big if you’re really looking at it but to be honest I don’t mind too much as this will be more of a ‘hello, i’m mrs functional’ type bra than a ‘helllloooo I’m miss va va voom’ please inspect me closely type bra.
Despite it initially looking horrendously massive, I tried it on and I really liked the fit. So much so, that I was wearing it to work the next day. I think what I like most about it is that it has a wide back to it which is what I’m used to in my RTW bras. As an aside, I don’t think you get too many DD+ bras out there with a skinny minny back wing – but hey I could be wrong….
I’m pretty happy with the fit on this bra that I’m tempted to make this in my left over leopard print